Yes I know I keep going on about how times are tough but really they are! So what’s a poor gift buyer to do? Here are some top tips to help you rein in your Christmas spending;
- Make a list, check it twice – who you’re shopping for and what they’re getting as this will avoid impulse buying
- Set a spending limit -set a limit and stick to it
- Avoid plastic – it is easier to keep spending under control if you don’t have a debit or credit card with you
- If you do swipe, pay off quickly – this avoids high interest charges
- Do your research before your shop – compare prices before you shop
- Don’t wait until the last minute – this can lead to exceeding your budget
- Chose carefully who you shop with – if you are not disciplined, shop with someone who is
- Buy in bulk – if it saves you money
- Think outside the gift box – make, bake or even forsake gifts – some families opt for secret santa which means you’re only buying for 1 person
- Remember what the season is all about – do you better remember the holiday or the gifts you received?
Merry Christmas! May 2012 be a prosperous year for all!
By Brad Porter