Whether you like it or not census is upon us with the aim (from Head of Stats SA) to drop the under counting of citizens from 17% in 2001 to 2% today. Here are a few tips to keep you well informed and safe during the process;
- If a census worker knocks on your door, you can identify them by their yellow bibs, ID cards and yellow satchels.
- Ask to see their identification and their badge before answering their questions.
However, you should never invite anyone you don’t know into your home.
- Do not give your identity number, credit card or banking information to anyone, even if they claim they need it for the census. Remember, no matter what they ask, you really only need to tell them how many people live at your address.
- While they might ask for basic financial information, such as a salary range, you don’t have to answer anything at all about your financial situation.
- They will not ask for bank account, or credit card numbers, nor will employees solicit donations.
By Brad Porter